Wednesday 24 March 2010

The Noughtie Girl's Guide to Feminism by Ellie Levenson (Book review)


I have been a fan of Ellie Levenson's wise, witty and well informed writing for some time. Her journalism in The Guardian and The Independent has often proved to be the most insightful commentary of modern feminism in the mainstream press. Do check out her wise words here:

http://www.ellielevenson.co.uk/page2.htm

As anyone who has seen my show will know, I believe that feminism is more important in 2010 than ever before. Yet less people are proud to call themselves feminists. People grossly misunderstand what the movement is about which is why Ellie Levenson's wonderful book is such an important piece of work. She is an excellent writer and she expertly weaves every point to a naturally funny and informative conclusion. She ingeniously takes this very important subject and makes it fun and enjoyable which is precisely what is required. I adore this book and have bought copies for many people to spread the word.

The best praise I can give, is that many people will have started to read this book not thinking they were feminists, but by the end of the book changed their minds. I obviously attempt the sam ething with my show by asking people to raise their hands at the beginning and end if they would consider themselves feminists. My aim is every night to double the figure but of kate I have been failing.

This book is a great deal of fun but argues a very important point very persausively. In short, it is required reading for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment