Friday 19 March 2010

The Feminist Library in London









I have just been to visit the Feminist Library in Lambeth. Wow, what an incredible resource. I wish I had visited when I was studying for my degree. They have everything you could dream of from classic Emily Dickinson poetry, rare Alice Walker first editions, long out-of-print bell hooks rarities to amazing second wave feminist literature including fanzines, original protest flyers and badges. You name it, they have it. I was shown around by the lovely and hugely knowledgeable Sarah who does an amazing job keeping these historical pieces impeccably stored, catalogued and filed. I could have talked to her all day.

Formerly known as the Women's Research and Resorce Centre, the Feminist Library was set up in 1975 by a group of women keen to record and document the Women's Liberation Movement and safeguard its history. I was blown away by the literature they have in the archive. There ae over 5000 non-fiction books dating from 1900 to present day, 2,500 works of fiction and thousands of rare periodicals including every edition of the much missed Spare Rib magazine. They even have some duplicate copies for sale so I was lucky enough to fill some gaps in my collection at a far more reasonable price than you are expected to pay on eBay for these treasures.

The library is run entirely by volunteers, and is open every Saturday between 11am and 5pm or at other times by appointment. I implore you to visit and when you do, you will be in no doubt that you need to help support the library.

I will certainly be signing up to become a friend of the library and am planning a comedy fundraiser later in the year to help support their excellent work.

It is located on the 1st floor at 5 Westminster Bridge Road, a five minute walk from Lambeth South tube. Get in touch and head there for a visit. You won't regret it.

Email: admin@feministlibrary.co.uk.

Website: http://feministlibrary.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment